Thursday, August 30, 2012

Carpet Cleaner.. Yes.. It Work's..

If I have talked to you then you probably know I am pretty close to being unemployed.  Which means my super cheap frugal lifestyle has to be a little more cheaper even more frugal.  I have been making my own laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, multi-purpose cleaner, and window cleaner (yes, sometimes I do clean windows) for close to a year now.  Slowly adding new products into the money saver column.

Well remember this guy??



Yes.. The totally bad ass senior citizen end of life vomiting and diarrhea all over the carpet dog??
Last week he had another episode of vomiting for two days.  It wasn't bad when I was at home but when the partially employed actually gets to work they have to leave Mr. Pukeface home alone all day long.


I am a little embarrassed by the photo below.  My dog yakked this pile up about a week ago.  The problem is, I was busy, and then I ran out of shampoo for the carpet cleaning the downstairs carpets.  This spot happened to be in the extra bedroom.  So I vacuumed up the chunks and shut the door. 
 
Finally today I mixed up a recipe for carpet cleaner.  I figure week old vomit, what better to try it on and see if it really works.  I did have to go and buy one ingredient but that was less than $2.00.  A regular bottle of carpet shampoo is probably between $6 and $10 depending on the brand and type that you buy.  It was worth a shot.
 
Here we go:
1 1/2 quarts of HOT not boiling water (If my math is correct that is 6 cups)

1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons dish soap

Mix these up and pour it in. 

This recipe was originally for a little green machine or something like that but I doubled the recipe and it all fit into my carpet cleaner.

The original recipe called for some essential oils for some scent but I did not use them.  For one it costs money to buy that and second this smells fresh and that is all I care about.


Looks clean, Smells fresh.  Bring it on Mr. Pukehead.  I dare you!

****This recipe was modified from the one I found on this website: http://www.survivingthestores.com/homemade-carpet-cleaner-shampoo-recipe-non-toxic-machines.html
 


1 comment:

Brain Ventris said...

Nice! I actually share your frugal lifestyle. :] Improvise what can be improvised, as long as it’s safe and effective. Keeping a pet and a clean carpet all at the same time can be costly, but cleaners need not be expensive to work well. How’s Mr. Pukeface, by the way?